Monday, November 29, 2010

Day 13: My mode of transportation

So, this is my ride......


It's a 1983 Volvo 240D.


I got my drivers permit in 1983.

The right windshield wiper doesn't work, the fan doesn't work, the back tail light is covered in tape......

It rattles....

It hums....

It has a lot of miles on it.


257, 345 miles to be exact.

Some say it's just about broken in.

The doors creak when you open them....

It has a sunroof.

It's a manual car with electric overdrive.....


It rails and I love it.

I bought it from a man whose son used to drive it.

His son died when he was just 19 years old.....from meningitis.

I understood how difficult it was for Tom to sell this car.

We cried together at the DMV when we transferred the title.

I feel honored.

I think about Thomas all the time when I drive. I wonder what he would say when the window stopped rolling down, or the car wouldn't start, or the overdrive stopped working......

I wonder who rode in the car with him...

Who he laughed with while on road trips.


I wonder what music rocked the speakers.......

I wonder.....

Did he love this car like I do?

Do I love it partly because of him?

I think I do.

His family has become very special to me.

In fact, they've become like family.


Oh, and have I mentioned.....

I love my car.



1 comment: